Saturday, January 31, 2015

what I'm learning : new mom edition

A few new things I've learned from my 3 1/2 months of being a mom:

  • Mommy guilt is very real...and it stinks.
  • Spit up, drool, blowouts and other messy discharges (whether it be in public or at home) really no longer phase you after, oh say, the first couple times.
  • How fast I can shower.  I mean, why did it take me so long before?
  • Successfully cutting baby nails should be rewarded with a prize.  Every.single.time.
  • It's amazing how much you can miss your husband, even though you still share daily life.  I really understand the "ships passing in the night" phrase now.
  • How much I can do with one hand.  Perhaps they should start a one-handed mommy Olympics of sorts.
  • Despite the lack of postpartum hormones, it's really easy to get emotional.
  • When your child looks different than you, complete strangers believe that means it's totally normal to ask you all sorts of questions about their background.
  • How much I feel like I'm not doing my best in any area of my life as I juggle the new routine of work and life with a baby.
  • How hard it is when you can't fix or don't know how to make something better for your child.
  • The depth of longing to have a relationship with E.J.'s birthmom and just know that she's ok.
  • What being tired really is.  I often felt tired pre-baby, but man, I had no idea.
  • The fact that I can still work, socialize, and function on few hour blocks of sleep.
  • The difficulty of walking out the door in the morning when E.J.'s not yet awake.
  • The amount of dirty laundry a tiny person can make.
  • Guilt about the days when you just can't wait until it's bedtime.
  • The rate of speed in which a 5 lb. 7 oz. newborn can become a 14 lb. 2 oz. baby.
  • How quickly the pain of the wait is put in its place.
  • And lastly, despite the exhaustion, tears, frustrations, and fears, how absolutely wonderful it is to be a mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment