Sunday, September 13, 2015

Choosing relationships over my to-do list

I’m a type A planner who has a constant to-do list.  It’s rare for me to be without my scrap of paper full of items that I need to complete, ranging anywhere from the non-important (paint toenails) to the necessary (make doctor's appointment) and everything in between.  Juggling my new role as mommy while working full-time, I’m even more overwhelmed by the to-do list and items that never seem to get checked off.  It’s hard to do anything when you feel like every moment at home should be spent with the adorable child you ache for when leaving each day.  And so the list gets transferred, some things get crossed off, but more often than not they are written once more during a burst of motivation (usually when not at home and when unable to complete the tasks).   

Since going back to work, I have an “extra” four hours on Wednesdays when I’m able to be home.  I usually see this as time to accomplish some tasks (although nap time, when it actually happens for a good chunk of time, often beckons for laziness on my part).  Recently, I was presented with a last minute opportunity to spend time with another mom and her little one.  Part of me wanted to say no, but I really had no good reason to.  For some, it might be a no-brainer to spend time with people rather than stay home and clean, but for me, I have to make a conscious choice.  Ever since that day, where we enjoyed fun play time (EJ received his first kiss, hehe) and a walk, I’ve thought about my time.  While it is necessary to keep the house somewhat clean (bare minimum lately), grocery shop, and cook for my family (eating happens, though it might not be awesome meals), it’s also just as necessary to pour into relationships, those in my house and those outside.  I could easily become a hermit aside from a few close relationships, but I know that I’m not doing anyone any good by doing so.  My priorities are to my family yes, but also to showing God’s love by having relationships with people.  And how can I do that if all I’ve done is check off items on my to-do list?

No comments:

Post a Comment