Saturday, June 29, 2013

home study visit #1

We had our first home study visit with the social worker today, where we each met with the social worker separately.  I was nervous all week, and kept myself busy Friday night by cleaning the house.  Saturday morning we met the Esh's for breakfast which was great, and once we got home I picked up cleaning again.  About five minutes before our social worker was to arrive, Col admitted that now that it was close, he was getting nervous too.  When she got there though, it didn't take long for us both to relax.  She was so casual and easy-going, easy to talk to and also chatty herself.  She loved Mendon and was impressed that she doesn't jump when meeting new people (woohoo!) and was in awe of our house (we told her that really we just got lucky because it came painted this way).  Col went first, so I holed up in our bedroom, wishing I could hear what they were saying, but busy keeping Mendon occupied for an hour (her bone lasted all of 20 minutes) when all she wanted was to go out where they were.  When Col finally came to get me, and Mendon had nudged the doorknob more times than I can count, he was relaxed.  I advised him to take her outside for my portion because there was no way she'd be happy in our room for another hour, and I sat down in the living room to do my part.  In all, our social worker was with us for about 2 1/2 hours. 

Everyone who has gone through the adoption process says that one of the biggest worries of new adoptive parents is the home study visit, but that it's not a big deal at all.  I always believed them, but yet also couldn't not have nerves of my own.  But everything people said is true: it's not a big deal, it's a lot of fact finding/getting to know you, and there's no need to, nor can you, prepare because everything they need to know is already in our heads.  And I am also so thankful for our social worker, who was super nice and reassuring.  All of her comments were helpful and uplifting, and she was surprised and happy to hear that we are open to both open adoption and transracial adoption, as she usually works with families who aren't open to those two things. 

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers during our visit!  We celebrated with dinner outside with the in-laws, and ice cream that night outside with the Moore's. 

And so, home study visit #1 done!
Sunday 7/7 we have home study visit #2, where we will meet with her together and then do the home tour.  Can't wait!  We are almost done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment