Sunday, July 21, 2013

weekend with parentals

We headed down to G-town to spend one last weekend there with my parents before they move.  We planned to eat our way through the places that have become quite frequent for us.  Friday night we had giant calzones from La Via Pizzeria, celebrated mom's birthday, and relaxed.  A musician from Tennessee, Justin Terry, was also staying at their house this weekend and did a concert on Saturday, so we met him.

Saturday morning Mendon gave mom a scare when she got out and ran down the street to a neighbor's house.  The mail woman had just been over talking to my mom, and when my mom opened the door to come back in, Mendon saw the opportunity and ran out after her.  Thankfully, the mail woman is friends with my parents, and Mendon just wanted to play, so she was able to catch her and was on her way back as Col and I stumbled out in our pj's with treats. 

After dad finished his sermon, we headed out to visit some nearby Amish farms and shops.  We've never been to them even though they are close by.  It was so fun to drive around and look for handmade signs and stop at whatever caught our eyes.  Most of the shops were right on each family's farm.  We bought cookies, a whoopee pie, bread, chocolates (sooo good), my parents got a quilted pillow, and the best stop was a toy shop.  The guy there was hilarious and played a few good practical jokes on us.  My parents got a little wooden wagon with painted ABC blocks that go in it for future Little L.  It's already found its way to one of the shelves in the nursery :) We also stopped at an Alpaca farm and got to see them up close and hear more about their fleece and the process to make yarn out of it, which was neat.  After our shopping spree, we headed back to town and went to the concert at the park right next to the church.  We enjoyed ice cream and some southern gospel/country music.  Col and I took Mendon for a walk, updated our medical grids for the adoption, and caught some HGTV.  When my parents got home from church that evening, we went to Red's for dinner and relaxed at home.

On Sunday we enjoyed church and the 20-somethings class my parents lead.  It was fun to see people and talk about our adoption.  Mom, Col and I went to the store to get some ear drops for Mendon as she woke up shaking her head nonstop, was itching, and had some yucky discharge.  Thankfully, after even just one use, she was doing much better.  My parents had a grad party to go to, so Col and I were going to tag along, and I was going to ride there with dad on his motorcycle because I've been craving a motorcycle ride lately.  We stopped at the store and when we tried to leave, the bike was dead.  After waiting for mom and Col to come pick us up, it started up again right before they got there.  We ended up just driving together to the party, but as mom and Col got the food ready for dinner, dad took me out for a nice long ride.  There is nothing like the wind blowing at you and the freedom of the countryside flying by!

We enjoyed a nice cookout for dinner and Kan Jam before heading back home.  It might have been our last weekend there staying with mom and dad, but I know we'll be back to visit the church someday.  Thankful for a fun weekend and the fact that we'll get to see my parents more often soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment