Sunday, November 10, 2013

savoring the little things

A few days ago, I had a moment of gratitude for our little life.  You know when you are doing something so simple, yet feel overwhelmingly blessed and content where you are?  It was like that.

Over the last few weeks we have enjoyed a lot.  One Friday we had a 24-hour movie marathon with our friends Rachel and Brenton where we kicked off with a late dinner at Moe's (our first time!), and then stayed up until 4am eating ice cream, candy, and popcorn while watching Thor, The Hulk, and Captain America.  When we got up the next morning, we commenced with pancakes and Iron Man.  Later that evening, after a quick trip to the vet with Mendon, we finished off with The Avengers.

On Sunday of that weekend I was able to meet my parents at the mall and enjoy an extremely entertaining shopping trip with them.  My dad had to get some new clothes, and I had a blast laughing and being goofy with them.  Later that day I hung out with Teenie and Jeremiah, where we talked and played and I had fun getting carrots spit up on me a few times ;) One night after work, I was able to meet Rach for coffee and have a great conversation with her about our adoption and catch up on life and her new puppy.  We went to my parents' house one Saturday night and celebrated my Grandma Saile's birthday with my dad's family.  I had a phone catch-up with Deanna and cherished the fact that even though we had to call each other back a few times during our conversation, we can always pick up right where we leave off.

I even finally started my promotion at work, the one offered me in July.  I have one week under my belt, a small corner desk with a window to look out of, and quiet to think and work.  I have a lot to learn, but so far I'm happy where I am and excited to keep accomplishing.

Col and I have taken a ton of walks with Mendon, many during the cold fall air, all bundled up.  We have traveled new routes and walked long distances (the other day we took a 2 hour walk).  One night, we even walked to our polling place to cast our vote for a local election.  It was that night that I felt content, something that is hard for me sometimes because I get caught up in making plans, lists, and timelines.  We have relaxed at home, watched football and lots of Friends episodes, spent time with family and friends, eaten like crap and enjoyed too many desserts.  After the heartache that we have felt (and the hard days I still have), it has been refreshing to just enjoy the little things.  To really be in the moment for once.  And no matter what happens, we still need to enjoy our lives as they are, right then.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you both are able to enjoy the little moments even when being in the thick of grief and sadness. We've been trying to do this, too, and it's so helpful to just set aside the weight of it all when you can and enjoy the little things. Also, um, 24 hour movie marathon sounds amazing!!! So fun! :)

    ReplyDelete