Sunday, January 12, 2014

new year's resolution

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, but after being unable to stick to a devotional plan and continually hearing about a bunch of free Kindle books, I decided that this year, I want to do three things:

1) get a million times better at doing my daily devotions
2) read more for fun
3) use my Kindle more


1 - Unfortunately, I consistently fail at the spiritual discipline of reading my Bible.  I start, I stop, I try something else, I get behind.  So I really want to work a daily time into my schedule that I will stick to.

2 - I love to read.  It's always been my #1 hobby (nerd alert).  Each year it seems that I read less and less.  Feeling like I'm putting my English degree to shame, I want to read more overall and more for fun.  I have so many book lists to use (Rory Gilmore reading list, my senior seminar lifelong reading list, every single book by my favorite authors, lit anthologies from college).  I gotta get going!

3 - A year or so ago, I was blessed with a Kindle from my awesome coworker who had upgraded to a newer one.  While I have used it, I have not used it to its full potential.  I would hear about free e-books and save the info to download them, but then I'd never get around to it and the free window would close.  This happened again a week ago with a book my pastor recommended that sounded really interesting, and so I vowed to dust off my Kindle and get to work!  No more missing free books that I want to read.  And in helping with goal #1, I quickly downloaded all the free e-books by Beth Moore before I lost the chance.
What about you guys?  Any late decisions on making a resolution?
Any tips on staying consistent with your devotions?  Please share! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally with you on #1. Sometimes I find myself gravitating toward a certain thing at night (netflix, blog reading, etc.), and if I tell myself to do my devos first before I do whatever else it motivates me to stay on track. Totally a 5 year old mindset there, but it tends to work. I need to get better though.

    ReplyDelete