Thursday, October 16, 2014

the story of Little L : part 1

It was a typical Wednesday (as they always are).  At 4p, I got a call from our adoption agency, and as I ran into the nearest closet at work to take the call (any extra offices and the conference room were being used), our family advocate told me that they had a last minute profiling opportunity where the baby had been born the day before.  They needed to know by 4:45p that day if we would like to move forward and be profiled.  I began my stalker-calling of Colin, who was working with gym full of kindergarten through second graders, so I had to repeatedly call and text in order for him to 1) feel his phone go off and 2) realize that there was an immediate need.  I ran through the details of the case with him, and we both quickly agreed that we were fine with moving forward.  I called our agency back, did a little quick research, and finished up my workday.  As I began my drive home, I felt like this call was different for some reason.  Why I wasn't sure, because I had become very good at just thinking that it would be another "no."  However, I started to pray non-stop about it.  At 5:15, I received a call from our agency again.  Having no time to hook up my blue-tooth, I answered after a quick debate and decided that I did not want to miss this call.  Asked if I was driving, I was instructed to pull over.  I still wasn't really feeling anything either way, just a calm as I found a parking lot and put the car in park.  Our family advocate then said, "I'm calling because I wanted to tell you that you have been chosen!"  I was in complete shock, I believe I asked, "Really?!," and began to cry.  She proceeded to go through the details and information that she needed that night and what we needed for the next day.  Still in shock, I finished my drive home, jumping in my seat, praising God out loud, and crying the whole way.

Once home, I could not wait to tell Colin.  Since he gets out of work at 6p, I knew I had until about 6:30 to try and wait patiently.  Running around the house like a chicken with my head cut off, I tried to figure out how I wanted to tell him.  I settled for making a sign and pulling out the Adoption STAR shirt we had from our first match.  Then I waited.  And waited.  At 6:45, he called and said he was just leaving now, the latest he's ever gotten out (go figure on this day of all days!).  He said I was probably texting him so much because dinner had been ready for a while (to which I replied, "Um, sure...").  I told him to hurry home and then decided I might as well make dinner since he was on his way.

When he walked through the door I couldn't contain my excitement, and told him that before he did anything else, he had to read this sign.  He seemed a little confused but quickly caught on, and I told him we had been chosen!


We tried to eat dinner, and then decided that while we knew all too well how quickly things could change at this point, we wanted to tell our parents and siblings.  So we used Mendon to tell our news.  The picture below was texted to our families, and both moms responded first asking for clarification.  Both on the phone at the same time, we told them that we were getting a puppy.  My mom resignedly said that was what she thought and went on and on about it before I interrupted her and said that was not true and that we had been chosen by a birthmom and were meting the baby the next day!  Colin's family was all in the car together, and he heard an audible collective sigh at the "puppy" news.  To which he also explained we were kidding and gave them the news.  The sweetest moment was when he heard our 5 year old niece get out of the car at the end of the call and say, "I can't wait to meet their new puppy!"  She hadn't caught on to the change in the conversation, but we knew she would be even more excited about a new cousin.


We called our employers and explained that we wouldn't be in the next day, then made lists of what we needed to get done.  I can't remember what time we climbed into bed, but I do know that I didn't sleep well.  I woke at some point in the early morning hours with major anxiety that once again we would find ourselves so close and things would change.  However, we spent the morning hours getting ready, installing the car seat, and packing overnight bags for our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment