Monday, June 11, 2012

from excitement to sadness

Sunday was a GREAT day.  Then today came and decided to knock me down, more than once.

But let’s start with yesterday.  It was a rare, extremely rare, day where we had no plans!  And it was WONDERFUL!  I seriously felt SO refreshed after a bad, distracted week.  Somehow, the day seemed to last forever and we got so much done.  We started the day with church, grocery shopped, treated ourselves to bagel dogs for lunch, and went home where I decided to finally tackle some gardening that I’ve wanted to fix up for a while. 

You see, we have this flower bed in front of our porch that is overgrown and just doesn’t look all that great.  It is full of perennials which do bloom every year but everything was just getting out of hand.  I’m not much of a gardener nor do I really have the urge to become one, but this has bothered me since last year, so with this unlimited amount of time, I finally decided to do something about it.  Col sat on the porch doing homework while I shoveled, dug, weeded, removed, and finally evened out a newly cleaned bed.  Col helped me complete it, too.  After re-laying the bricks around the edges so that they would show, we finished it all off by spraying it down.  I was hot, sweaty, and dirty (the latter two not my idea of fun), but we felt SO proud and accomplished!  It looked great (and it was only 2:15pm)!

Time seemed to last forever and the rest of the afternoon was great spending time with Col and reconnecting after all the weeks, and especially the past week, of our crazy, busy schedules.  We had time to watch a movie and I finished a book while he did more homework.  Even after a 2 ½ hour long staff meeting for his new job, we enjoyed dinner with his parents.  I will be forever grateful for this long, free Sunday which renewed both me and our relationship.

Monday.  The activity that was awesome therapy for me on Sunday turned into something that caused me to need therapy to erase the guilt I felt.  Turns out our definition of “you-can-do-whatever-you want-with-the-flower-bed” is grossly different from our landlords.  He was not happy and I spent the whole day upset about it (add to that other worries that are already on my mind).  I couldn’t stop thinking abut it all day at work and into the evening.  After trying to avoid him, and even though Col already apologized to him and explained that we misunderstood, I decided to woman-up and apologize myself.  However, after talking to him, I didn’t feel any better.  No “it’s ok” or “I can tell how upset you are and know you didn’t do this to spite me” was heard.  Forgo all my plans to beautify the front of our house.  Goodbye pretty flowers and intense pride and excitement.  We’ll be replanting everything he wants, at our own expense, just to watch it grow untended and overgrown again.  Lesson learned.

Needless to say, we are becoming more and more ready to buy our own house.

1 comment:

  1. Oh NO!!! I was just going to text you to see how gardening was going...I'm so sad to hear this report after all of your good brainstorming on Saturday and hard work on Sunday! What a bummer, I'm so sorry Smash :(

    (If it's any consolation the imaginary garden that you planted from the flowers we saw on Saturday is still on my mind, and it's beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete