Thursday, July 19, 2012

tears, prayers, and God's faithfulness

I'm not really sure how to start this post.  At first there was a lot that I wanted to write, then a lot that I wasn't sure I wanted to say.  So I took a little emotional break even though oftentimes writing is the activity I crave when I'm going through something.  This won't be as eloquent as what I first came up with in my head at the time, especially because a week has passed, but bear with me.

Last weekend was hard.  It was one of those emotional times when you want to curl up under the covers and stay in bed for a few days.  Certain emotions had been building up for me but were being dealt with when another blow came.   They always do once you think you've got yourself under control, you know?  I don't want to dwell on that, though.  You know why?  Because the weekend was also sprinkled with a picnic with friends, games, and a TON of family time.  And the best part of making it through another ride on the roller coaster of life?  Answered prayers; lots of them!

See, Friday we laughed, then we cried.  A lot.  Saturday we smiled and played, and then watched a movie which caused us to cry, laugh, deal with anger and frustration, and cry some more (curious?  It's called "Courageous."  It's powerful and moving and hard yet happy and chock full of specific applications to being a Godly family).  Both nights, Col and I collapsed into bed and prayed.  A lot.  And guess what?  MULTIPLE prayers of ours were answered.  Sunday we awoke to a new day full of God's promises and were not disappointed.  One after another we were astounded by how specifically and obviously (thanks God, I need those obvious ones!) He showed His love.  He was even able to work through me, through my own personal pain and disheartenment to show His love to more than one person, and I didn't even know it until it was pointed out to me later.  We bonded with others more than I've felt in a while, being able to talk honestly and in love.  We talked about the tough stuff and we talked about the exciting plans we have for our futures.  Sunday was a great day.  I was so blown away by everything; simply in awe of our Heavenly Father.  Although it was a tough weekend, it also brought Col and I even closer as we prayed and cried and witnessed God's love.  It reminded us of how generously we are blessed with the families that God has given us.  Because of all that, we were able to finish the weekend off on a much higher note than how we began it.  It was one of the most tangible times that I could list off exactly how our prayers were answered.  Oftentimes God answers our prayers differently than we'd like or expect, so we don't recognize that He has indeed heard us.  However, I'm grateful that this time he showed us plainly and perfectly.  It was awesome.


 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7


Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.
Psalm 107:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment