Sunday, December 23, 2012

"See you later," not, "Goodbye"

My friend whom I've known since Kindergarten is pursuing her dream and moving to Nashville in the coming week.  It's so hard and so scary to put yourself out there and jump into the unknown (I was similarly petrified when I moved to Spain for 5 months to study abroad), but I couldn't be prouder of her for taking the risk.  Saturday we got to spend the afternoon together in our hometown exchanging Christmas gifts, making truffles, and getting smoothies from this tiny coffee shack.

Her impending move made me remember how I felt when I left for Spain as a 20 year old college student.  I had my freak outs, bawled my eyes out saying goodbye to family and friends, and thought more than once, "What the heck am I doing?!"  However, that 5 months was so much more than I could have ever imagined and all my fear and tears were worth what I gained while there.  At the end of my journal from that time, I wrote these lyrics from Superchick's song Suddenly:

"And suddenly it isn't what it used to be,
And after all this time it worked out just fine.
And suddenly I am where I'm supposed to be.
And after all the tears, I was supposed to be here."

Isn't it funny how God knows what's best for you even when it feels like the worst idea ever?  Even when things don't turn out the way we imagine them, He stretches us, grows us, and shows us His love all along the way.  I am praying that the same will be true of Deanna's quest to Nashville.  As I wrote in her Christmas card, "Go get famous!"  I love you friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment