Monday, April 8, 2013

the neighbors

This past weekend we had some beautiful weather (finally!), so Col took some time to do some yard work on Saturday while I was at a work training all day.  When I got home he told me how he had finally met some of our neighbors. 

Hard to explain, but the way that our lot is, our backyard backs up to the backyards of houses on both sides but that face other streets.  We only have one house technically next to us which faces the same way.  Anyway, since the weather was so nice on Sunday, we spent the afternoon (other than our box spring adventure) outside playing with Mendon.  The neighbors that Colin had met on Saturday came out and introduced themselves to me as well.  They are a cute Italian couple in their 80's who have lived in their house on our street for over 60 years.  We chatted over the fence for a while, after convincing the gentleman that there was nothing to fear from our gentle giant of a dog (and no, she won't eat your son's tiny white pooch that you are watching).  It was delightful talking to them, and they ended the conversation with, "If you ever need anything, with the house or something, you let us know, and we'll help you.  That's what neighbors are for," which we thought was very sweet of them.

That evening, I let Mendon out one final time before bed and was in the bathroom brushing my teeth.  When I came out, Col was outside and I heard loud talking.  I peeked out the window and saw him down in our yard chatting over the fence with Mrs. neighbor.  When he came back in, I found out that he had heard yelling so he went outside to see if Mendon had gotten out somehow.  What he found was her standing on our deck (which is kind of second story level because we are in a raised ranch), staring down at our neighbor who was standing in the corner of her yard near our fence yelling, "Ash-ley!"  Mind you, it was 10:30 at night, and I assumed our dear 83 year old neighbors were well on their way to dreamland.  When Col went out to find out why she was yelling for me (she said she didn't call him because she couldn't remember his name), she told him that all her phones had died, she had given her cell to her son, and she needed to call her other son.  So Col let her borrow his phone, and came in with a, "I'm glad we have nice neighbors and that we met them, but if that's how they are going to be, I don't know if I can handle it!"

I do find it humorous that even though all their lights were off, she must have seen me let Mendon out.  I guess it's good that we have neighbors who will be on the watch and see all the goings-on, but I hope they don't try to spy on us too much!  We are at a disadvantage since we are the only raised ranch on a street of ranches, so our house towers over the rest.  Gotta love quirky neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment