Friday, May 16, 2014

oh to just have a physical appointment

Our adoption update requires us to get our physicals done again.  Not long after finding out that we would have to re-do the physical forms, I called my PCP to set up an appointment, knowing that I should do so before getting the forms from the agency.  They were booked and the earliest they could offer me was July 1st.  However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it would be too late because the social worker won't set up the home study visit until all of our paper is in and approved.  Since our expiration date is July 20 and the report takes a week or two to complete, we would be cutting it super close.  I called back today and tried to appeal my case, but they had no cancellations nor could they put me on a list.  I was frustrated, trying to be understanding (since I work in a doctor's office, I truly understand the receptionist's plight), but also trying to be firm that I needed to have this done sooner and why.  I hung up and started to tear up but decided that this would work out and I would appeal to our agency after our other paperwork is in to see if they would set up the meeting with the understanding that I would send in my medical form ASAP after my appointment that day.  I've read other blogs about how people have had to be firm to get appointments they need for their adoptions, but their appeals always worked.  I was discouraged and wondering if I should have done more, but didn't want to be mean or rude.

An hour later, the receptionist at my doctor's office called me sounding all excited.  She had maneuvered some things around and moved someone else's appointment.  She could offer me an early June appointment!  Not only that, but I'm already off work that day.  I graciously accepted it not caring what time it was, and probably said thank you about 10 times.  After giving me such a resolute no earlier, I am so grateful that she decided to see what she could do.  So now I'm that annoying patient, the kind who drove me nuts when I worked at the front desk, but I feel that God definitely worked in the situation!  Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so glad they could fit you in sooner! I remember being totally taken back by how far out they schedule an appointment for a physical versus an appointment because you're sick. I may have shed a few tears over that one. :) Good luck with all your paperwork updating! We're starting that again in July.

    ReplyDelete