Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Zumba!

I had my first Zumba class tonight!  I have wanted to take Zumba for so long, and I was constantly bringing it up but not doing anything about it.  I finally decided, in keeping with my goal to continue to make plans regardless of the fact that we never know when they may change due to our adoption, that the next time it was offered as part of the community education in West Irondequoit, I would take it.  I figured that taking it through community education would be less hard-core (and cheaper) than at a gym, seeing as I do not regularly, or really ever, workout.  So I somehow convinced my willing mother-in-law to sign up with me, and we started our eight-week weekly class.

Of course it being the first day I was running a little late.  I got there a couple minutes after and could hear the music playing as I hurried down the hall to where it's held.  As I quickly drop my stuff and join in next to my mother-in-law in the back row, a survey of the room shows that I am definitely by far the youngest one in the class.  There was one girl who looked young, but she was clear across the room.  My MIL also filled me in between moves that I missed introductions and we were the only new ones to the class, so we stuck out like sore thumbs as these hardcore mothers and [mostly] grandmothers were shaking their stuff.  I even got a personal shout out from the instructor during a song as she noticed I had joined and yelled, "Welcome Ashley!!!"  There were no slow teaching-the-steps moments, but we danced alongside everyone as best we could (since they all knew the routines already).  Despite all that (and despite the entire song that was dedicated to squats, oof), I had a blast!  It was entertaining to hear the woo girls (How I Met Your Mother anyone?!) during the harder parts and to complete turns where everyone yelled, "Go back row!"

I can't wait to go back and think I may make this a weekly routine indefinitely.  Woo!


No comments:

Post a Comment